Saturday, July 9, 2011

Things that go BOOM!

Instead of a regular post...

With this year's July 4th fireworks behind us, here are some of the odder explosive-related news stories I've been sent.

1. A guy who tried modifying them in his kitchen.

2. A school with an explosive way of starting classes.

3. A gentlemen who, in lieu of regular fireworks, lit a military-grade explosive (not for the squeamish).

8 comments:

Pam said...

Darwin at work.

Mal said...

Fireworks are a great way to test common sense, and the ability and motivation to research and recall basic saftey information. We should make them available year round, in all areas, to anyone over the age of 18.

Mallory said...

One of my cousins blew off half his hand trying out dynamite. He couldn't find a fuse, so he lit the blasting cap with a cigarette lighter held at arms-length.

NB, if you're 16, and your 8 year old sister tells you "That's dumb, I'm going to go tell mum on you." and runs away, chances are she's right.

The really stupid part? If he'd asked, his dad would have given him some fuses, shown him how to detonate it safely, and found something for him to blow up.

Anonymous said...

I'd rather see photos of the drug rep mud wrestling...

Anonymous said...

Somehow I just knew the story was going to contain the words "trailer park" when I clicked on link no. 3.

Anonymous said...

Link three is impressive. I find it amazing what people and authorities call fireworks these days. Personally, something in a bag labeled "if found please report to the US government" does not qualify to be in the same category as a sparkler.

-MV

Anonymous said...

Link 3 is from my hometown...gotta love it. I know someone that lives just down the street from him. Everyone is lucky he only hurt himself with how close the housing is in that area.

Don said...

When I was in the Army, I used lots of explosives. We destroyed a bridge, for example, with about 2000 lbs of explosives. Took a couple days to rig up.

These days I am a licensed pyrotechnician and do our community's Fourth of July show.

Last year, in a neighboring town, one of the guys setting up their show was seriously burned because he was wearing a polyester shirt under his Nomex fireproof shirt. It caused a static spark that set off the round he was loading, which then detonated several near by rounds that were ready to be loaded.

People have no idea how dangerous these rounds are.

On a side note, When you fire an 8" mortar round from about 50 yards away, you can feel it through your whole body.

 
Locations of visitors to this page