Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday Reruns

Mrs. Grumpy had a meeting tonight, so I had to feed the kids. Fortunately for me, a Big Pharma, Inc. drug rep brought lunch today to the office, and there were a lot of leftovers.

So as I was leaving this afternoon I grabbed a big bag out of the cabinet (with the Big Pharma, Inc. logo on it), tossed the leftovers in it, and headed out.

As I was passing a cardiologist's office on my way to the elevator, a pretty female rep I'd never seen before, wearing a Big Pharma, Inc. name tag, came out of his office. We made eye contact, and I nodded, smiled, and continued on my way.

Only to be stopped after another few steps by her saying loudly, "Oh MY GOD! What are you doing?"

I turned around to find Ms. Prettyrep looking at me, horrified, with her jaw agape. "Excuse me?" I said.

Ms. Prettyrep: "Are you taking food from a doctor's office?"

Dr. Grumpy: "Um, yeah, is that okay?"

Ms. Prettyrep: "NO! It's rude! It's unacceptable and inappropriate! And look at the way you're dressed!" (I tend to be on the casual side) "No name tag! What are the corporate people teaching you new reps, anyway?"

Before I could answer she went on: "I'm sorry. I suppose this isn't your fault. The training people must be slacking off." She offered me her hand. "You must be new. I'm Stacey, from the cardiology marketing division".

I shook her hand. "I'm Dr. Grumpy, from the neurology division down the hall."

Stacey from the cardiology marketing division looked even more horrified now then she had a minute ago. After a few stuttering attempts at saying something she answered her cell phone (which hadn't rung), mumbled "nice to meet you" and ran into the stairwell.

14 comments:

jimbo26 said...

Sorry : roflmao . ;-)

Unknown said...

Another sign of the times. A pharmacy rep meets a man in a doctors' office hallway, and naturally assumes he's another pharmacy rep, not, say, someone who actually WORKS there.

Fizzy said...

That's awesome :) But how do you dress??

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Too funny. I'm glad for once it's the male doctors getting mistaken for something other than a doctor (although being told I'm the "sweetest nurse" isn't the worst thing in the world).

Venus Flytrap, Inc. said...

I am willing to bet that her face is still bright red.

Anonymous said...

To be fair Suz, the bad had the Big Pharma logo on it.

Anonymous said...

"Like you, totally shouldn't be taking food from a doctor's office, that is so totally like unacceptable.' You totally need to dress more professional, like because that makes you look more professional and stuff"

That sounds like a more accurate quote from the drug reps I have dealt with at my hospital.

watercolordaisy said...

LOL! Hate it when the lessons sting..... ahahhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!


and my word is borkedie. love it!

The Mother said...

Fun with drug reps. We have a few annoying ones; I'll remember this.

Mrs A said...

nothing wrong with casual, one of our intensivists comes in with shorts, thongs(flipflops not the thing in your bum) and floral shirt, relatives are usually pleasantly surprised that he is the doc! I say we should all wear casual!

Mockingbird said...

I'm siding with Stacy on this one, because she is very pretty, and she's waiting for me in the stairwell.

pharmacy chick said...

AND you are the guy who cleans the fish tank too!

Nurse K said...

Tank top and cutoffs again?

Anonymous said...

OK. reps usually are not known for dumpie-frumpieness, so at least you pass as one, even with the suspect dress code.

Someone should give this lady a break. she is trying to be proactive and set good standards for her company!! .....

even if it was hard to overcome the temptation to play with her like a cat toy in the rabies waiting ward...

 
Locations of visitors to this page