Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday reruns

Dr. Unka is in my office complex. When he refers a patient to me, he often walks them upstairs to my office and waits with them up front (while his own waiting room backs up) until Mary has scheduled the patient. He often asks that I drop everything I'm doing to come meet his new referral, instead of just having them call us to make an appointment.

So today Mary called me to say Dr. Unka was up front, and wanted me to come meet a new patient. So I excused myself from my current patient and went up front, to see him standing there with a familiar, somewhat irritated-looking, older lady.

Dr. Unka: "Ibee, I'd like you to meet Mrs. Ancient. I'm referring her for memory loss."

Dr. Grumpy: "Uh, Mrs. Ancient was here 3 weeks ago for that."

Mrs. Ancient (glaring at Dr. Unka): "I told you! Why didn't you listen to me?"

Dr. Unka: "She was?"

Mrs. Ancient: "Yes!"

Dr. Grumpy: "Yes, I sent you a note."

Dr. Unka: "You did?"

Mrs. Ancient: "Yes! He did! It was even in my chart at your office! I pointed it out to you!"

Dr. Unka: "You did? Um, I mean, then have her make a follow-up." (leaves).

15 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds like Mrs. Ancient needs to give Dr. Unka some tips on remembering things when they have memory loss. ;)

Anonymous said...

You didn't send her away and schedule an appointment for him?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Dr. Unka should be seeing you, too.

Amanda said...

Sounds like Dr. Unka should refer himself to you.

LOST SOUL said...

poor Dr. Unka

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Oops.

watercolordaisy said...

Geez. Dr Unka's whole philosophy is wasting everyone's time. ugh

Anonymous said...

Physicians tend not to take the elderly seriously.

Mockingbird said...

Dr. Unka needs 2 shots of bourbon before bedtime so as to improve his memory!

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that Dr. Unka has this person mixed up with someone else that needs to come see you STAT!

Poor, Poor, OLD, Dr. Unka!

Anonymous said...

He's a pain in the ass. Maybe you should make him go back to the exam room with you to meet YOUR patients.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Ancient not only has a better memory than Dr. Unka, but she is also more observant, spotting Dr. Grumpy's note in her chart and pointing it out. Sounds like Dr. Unka does not bother to read or notice things, or listen to his patient, because he is too full of his own importance.

Jess said...

I'm thinking my referrels would be good, especially since my memory sucks and I'm not a doctor.

terri c said...

I think it would be hard for Dr Unka to diagnose memory loss. OTOH, I like Mrs Ancient!

cliffintokyo said...

Wisdom of Ancient One bests Busy-ness of Professional Unka Goofball?

 
Locations of visitors to this page