Thursday, May 20, 2010

Attention well-meaning sister!

I know you're concerned about your sister, Kris. I mean, you don't have kids of your own, and live 1000 miles away, but you do talk to her on the phone regularly.

I guess you found out I treat her for headaches. I can't really talk to you directly, due to privacy issues, so please accept this as my answer:

Please DO NOT leave a message on my office voicemail saying that I need to work her up urgently for a brain tumor (you read about them in Reader's Digest) because she's been more forgetful and disorganized since having triplets 3 months ago.

It's not like you've been out here to visit in that time, either.

If you have even one kid someday, you'll understand. And when you do, multiply what it does to you by 3, then call me and Kris back to apologize.

Thank you.

10 comments:

terri c said...

WONDERFUL answer! Kris is lucky to have you as her doctor. Her sister might have a brain tumor though...

ERP said...

Come on, doesn't everyone with some sort of neuro complaint deserve an MRI? This is AMERICA, Man, don't we deserve everything AND MORE!?

thegooddrlaura said...

That's one of the challenges in Medicine - to be polite with people when you just want to say, "you're whack." Clearly she means well, but, ugh. That's the exhausting part of practicing: being nice to 1000-mile-away-relatives who have no idea what they're talking about, and other daily equivalents.

The Mother said...

On the other hand, I know a lady with five kids who dumped her husband and ran off with the pool boy (no joke), only to be diagnosed with a brain tumor a year later.

The Good Cook said...

So you are saying you don't read Reader's Digest for the latest in medical diagnostic techniques?

Hmmmm..

Albinoblackbear said...

On the bright side, she wasn't yelling at Annie or threatening to report you if you didn't!

:)

AfterGirl said...

Quick do a workup on me for a brain tumor! Because I have been more forgetful and disorganized since I turned 50!

Duh!

Gen said...

If I were Kris, I'd be so pissed at my sister! What do you want to bet she's already brought this up with with Kris. Could you imagine dealing with 3 infants and having to also deal with your hypochondriac sister?!

In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger: It's not a tumor!

Heather said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that what that does to your brain capacity increases geometrically with added population, though.

Sandy in Pa said...

Thats why Dr House is my idol...hahaha...he says stuff we all want to say at times!Nurse Jackie says it like some nurses wish they could too.

 
Locations of visitors to this page