Monday, May 3, 2010

Continuing Medical Education

Doctors, to keep our certifications, are required to do 20-30 hours of continuing education per year. Some docs go to conferences. Some do them online. Others do them in writing.

The format is the same. There's always an article, followed by a quiz you have to pass (to prove you really read it), then an evaluation form with some pointless questions (Did you like this CME? How will you change your practice because of it? Was it free of commercial bias? What other topics would you like to see CME on? Are you bored shitless yet?).

Anyway, yesterday I was doing a CME on new MRI techniques in Multiple Sclerosis. While filling out the evaluation form I came across this question.

(click to enlarge)





It is entirely unrelated to the CME topic. I can only assume it was put in there to see if I was still paying attention (yes, I was. And I do wash my hands at least twice a week).

12 comments:

The Mother said...

Do you ever get the feeling that our blogs are somehow cosmically connected?

Not that I believe in cosmic connections, BTW.

OMDG said...

I suggest you respond "Never" to both questions just to see what happens.

Cthulhu Sashimi said...

That's what Ed's tank is there for, right?

The Good Cook said...

Me Too! (wash my hands at least once a week) Less if I'm just cooking for family...

OKAY - this is a joke. Just in case any of my food patrons read your blog.

WarmSocks said...

Maybe some docs need the reminder. Much as I like my PCP, I have never seen him wash his hands.

J-Quell'n said...

I'm also curious as to what would happen if you answered "never" to both questions.

Anonymous said...

It is better than being told by an insurance company 's (maybe the biggest company) employee :"doctors are a dime a dozen", when i called to enquire as to why they sent payment to patient instead of doctor.

Daniel said...

Too all you arrogant docs, just because you made it through med school doesn't mean you can't be reminded of the little things...surveys show it's the "little things" that patients appreciate more than your pomposity.

Someone said...

What a rude comment from Daniel. Ugh.

The "little things" I appreciate from my doctors have to do with their determination to grind through endless, mind-numbing hours of study in order to be prepared to save my life if and when I ever need it. I realize this isn't a popular point of view in the age of the common man, but when you're in a field where lives are at stake, pomposity (arrogance, pride, knowing what you're talking about and KNOWING that you know what you're talking about) isn't a sin. Ignorance is.

Emma said...

"Is there anybody out there?"

Sounds like a cry for help to me, CME-itis or somesuch, on the part of the CME author.

But, I used to have to fight to get 90-year olds off their Plavix-ASA for post-stroke only prophy, and the rationale was always, "show me the data," so maybe lots of geriatricians come from Missouri?

Glad to hear you're keeping up!

Sarah Glenn said...

Hmm. I've been entering the data from CME eval forms since 1995, and we never asked about washing hands... so THAT'S why nosocomial infections keep going up! We could be preventing this!

Anonymous said...

You laugh. My opthmalogist never washes his hands between patients. I got pinkeye from his office.

 
Locations of visitors to this page