Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Kids today!

One of the staff's sons was in the office yesterday. He's 9, and was sent home from school with a cold.

So they set him up with some books and a Nintendo DS, and he was pretty good. When he got bored they put him to work, and at one point he was sent to the storage closet next to my office to get copy machine paper and post-it notes.

At that time I was seeing an older gentleman for memory loss, and was going through the usual questions to check his functioning. Typical stuff. What's today's date, who's the President, how many quarters are in a dollar, etc.

A few minutes later the kid walked up front, and asked his mother, "Mom, why does the doctor ask people such easy questions? Even I know those answers."

8 comments:

The Good Cook said...

I hope they told him "because life's a circle"...

The Mother said...

Yeah--just ask him to count backwards from 100 by 7s and watch his little face screw up in horror.

Anonymous said...

LMAO. I am reminded of the time when I was a little girl and my family practice doctor placed his stethoscope's ear pieces in my ears. As he moved the diaphragm around my chest in the general vicinity of my heart, he asked: "Can you here it now? Can you here it now?" I couldn't. He kept asking me until finally I became so frustrated that I asked him: "Don't you know where it is??" Out of the mouths of babes.

Anonymous said...

When my husband and 5 year old son came to work one day the question asked by co-workers was 'what do you want to be when you grow up?' After observing what I was doing and some of the gizmos in the pharmacy, his answer was just 'I want to be Mom's boss.'

Classof65 said...

The longest day I ever spent at work was on a New Year's Day and the hospital day-care was closed. I thought they were going to be open and had made no other arrangements for my 4-yo daughter. So, I took her to work with me in Radiology. She loved going up and down the spiral staircase to "help" me get comparison films and she liked coloring in pictures we copied for her on the Xerox. She took a short nap on a couch in the lounge and was much better-behaved than I thought she would be, but I was soooo glad when the shift was over!

Anonymous said...

with some home schooling, he could become a neurologist ;)

Rebecca S. said...

You could make a cool $200 bucks if you send that to Reader's Digest!

ausduck said...

Face it Dr G, you'll never be asked to write the questions for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" lol

 
Locations of visitors to this page