Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tuesday afternoon

I'm heading to pick up the kids, and my cell phone rings. I recognize the number as another doctor's office, and answer it.

Dr. Grumpy: "Hello, this is Dr. Grumpy."

Phone Lady: "Hi, Mr. Lumbago, I'm calling from Dr. Beard's office. He'd like you to see a neurologist."

Dr. Grumpy: "Um, this is Dr. Grumpy, the neurologist."

Phone Lady: "Why, yes. Dr. Grumpy is who he wanted you to see. Are you familiar with him?"

Dr. Grumpy: "This is Dr. Grumpy. You called my cell phone by mistake."

Phone Lady: "No, we can't give you his cell phone number, but you'll need to call his office. It's 867-5309."

Dr. Grumpy: "This IS Dr. Grumpy. You called me! Not the patient."

(pause)

Phone Lady: "Is this Dr. Grumpy?"

Dr. Grumpy: "Yes."

(pause)

Phone Lady: "Why are you answering Mr. Lumbago's phone?"

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe she needs the neurologist

Marni said...

Great. Thanks to your phone number, I'm going to have that song in my head all day!

Matt M said...

Jenny?

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I use 867-5309 as the fake phone number on here for everything. Because everyone will recognize it for what it is, and not dial it.

Packer said...

No, Who's on first.

MarcW said...

Well?

Why ARE you answering Mr. Lumbago's phone?

Mad Jack said...

Okay, I'm convinced. You can't make this stuff up.

ER's Mom said...

I think that was my former office calling...

Anonymous said...

As Anon. 1 said, Phone Lady is going to be your pt. soon. And yes, I recognized the "Jenny" phone reference. Score one for the old lady!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that Ernestine calling? I'm seeing Lilly Tomlin...'Is this the person to whom I am speaking?'

Sal Paradise said...

There's a plumbing & heating company here in RI that deliberately took that number - everyone remembers it!

arzt4empfaenger said...

Bwahah! Seriously, why don't they listen? Get people too caught up on the phone call routine? (Thanks for the referral anyway.)

Thatgirl said...

Because obviously you're the one in the wrong here ;-)

Anonymous said...

Well, she's not Mary and maybe she needs a vacation.

Anonymous said...

what's 867-5309?

 
Locations of visitors to this page