I'm not ordering the tests for MY benefit. They are so I can figure out what's wrong with you, and fix it.
Personally, I don't give a crap if you don't have them. That's your business. You came to me for my advice, and I'm giving it.
Don't try to negotiate with me on this. They are entirely for your benefit, not mine.
Therefore, comments like the following WILL NOT get you anywhere in Dr. Grumpy's world:
1. "I'll have the brain MRI, but ONLY if you'll waive my co-pay."
2. "Okay, I'll do the CT scan, but you have to pay whatever my insurance won't cover."
3. "If the labs are that important I'll get them, on the condition that you order some for my husband, too, because he's due and doesn't want to see his internist."
4. "You can do the test, but only if the MRI place agrees not to charge for it."
And my personal favorite:
5. "I'll only let you do the tests if you'll double my monthly Percocet."