Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Gift guide - Star Wars edition - part II

So yesterday I ranted about all the horrible shit that surrounds the Star Wars movies. But here's one you may not know about. Even worse, I admit I watched it first run.

In 1970's American television, pretty much anyone who had some claim to celebrity got either a variety show and/or Christmas special. Captain and Tennille? Check. Shields and Yarnell? Yep. KISS television special? Of course (REALLY! It was called "KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park" and was a strange production of the rock group - with superpowers - solving a Scooby-Doo type mystery). Mercifully, the trend ended before we had the "Men Without Hats Variety Hour."

So, of course, in 1977 there was the hurriedly slapped together Star Wars holiday special. Featuring all the original actors (who likely weren't sure they'd ever work again at this point) as well as such 1970's TV staples as Bea Arthur, Art Carney, and Harvey Korman. Not to mention R2D2 "as himself."

Realistically, I'm not sure it was any worse than the prequels Episodes I-III. And, when it got bad, at least there was a commercial for Sears, Close-Up toothpaste, or whatever was "coming up next!" to break the monotony.

Be sure to get a copy now for the person who has to have EVERYTHING Star Wars related. Because where else can you see Star Wars featuring special musical guests Diahann Carroll and Jefferson Starship?



"Use the force, Luke... and change the fucking channel."






14 comments:

Tsunoba said...

I read the final sentence of the first paragraph, and I knew exactly what you were talking about.

*insert Santa Christ/Nostalgia Critic joke here*

Anonymous said...

If it hasn't got Tim Conway, I'm not interested.

BigFire said...

George Lucas have been trying for decades to destroy the very last copy of this thingie. And then Internet happens, now it will stay in our mind and heart forever.

RubinCompServ said...

I'd buy it, but I own it. I loved it as a kid, so I keep it for nostalgic value. I don't, however, watch it.

ronstew said...

I was 15 and male - the target audience. And even I was cringing as I watched it.

Anonymous said...

"Life Day", I hadn't realized that the "Christmas Wars" had begun so long ago already (sigh)

Anonymous said...

"I find your lack of talent disturbing."

-- Darth Vader, the one and only time he was invited to be a celebrity judge on "The Gong Show."

Packer said...

Comment total yesterday 15, today 4, I think we have turned the corner on Star Wars.

Anonymous said...

The way ABC-Disney has been pimping this movie 24/7 non-stop, I would not be surprised to see a *Star Wars* Valentives Day or Easter Special.

I loved the original. I have not even seen the prequels. I am sick of episode 7 and it has not even opened yet. Do you really need to put a Star Wars commercial pop-up in the TV screen during the Kimmel Show?

Anonymous said...

** So, of course, in 1977 there was the hurriedly slapped together Star Wars holiday special. Featuring all the original actors (who likely weren't sure they'd ever work again at this point) **

I was a big fan of the original Star Wars -- in '77-'78 I probably saw it in theaters 10 times. One memory of that time in TV land, was that Mark Hamill had been in the pilot episode of "Eight is Enough" as the oldest son when it was on as a summer special, then replaced by Grant Goodeve when the series started because (paraphrased)"he'd just completed an obscure sci-fi picture and wasn't sure if he'd have time for a series in case it was a hit". Then Mark Hamill had his accident & facial injuries prior to the next movie. And "Eight is Enough" (starring Dick VanPatten) had a multi-year run but also had tragedy, when the actress playing the brood's mother died and the episodes were retaped with the lines given out to some of the oldest girls.

Anonymous said...

Rifftrax (guys of Mystery Science Theater 3000) released an mp3 of them making fun of of the Star Wars Holiday Special. It REALLY helps.

Anonymous said...

I proudly admit that I have never seen, nor will I ever see a Star Wars movie.

Shash said...

OMG. I do remember being forced to watch that at dinner because my youngest brother wanted to, even though he hadn't seen the movie yet. I had, so I had to explain it to him and my parents. It was torture.

Maybe I should get this for his Christmas and force him to watch it six times. Evil laugh.

K said...

... why is Carrie Fisher's name on the cover of that the only name NOT bolded in all capitals? Even Peter Mayhew's name is bolded and in call capitals, and he played a walking rug that went Rawrrawrraaaargh!

 
Locations of visitors to this page