Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Memories

A long time ago, in a medical office building far, far, away...

As my regular readers know, before I went solo I worked for a large group called Humungous Neurology, Incorporated (HNI).

I left them for a lot of reasons, one of which (as is usually the case) was money. I won't go into too many details, but when I left my "contract-guaranteed" salary had been slashed by roughly 75% (to less than I'd made as a resident) because the money was needed for "the research budget."

By coincidence, my last day working for HNI happened to fall on Halloween.

So that day I came to the office (with a full schedule of patients) wearing an old pair of pants that I'd used to paint the house, a shirt with holes in it, a sock on only 1 foot, a pair of badly mismatched rundown shoes, and, for the pièce de résistance, this horribly hideous 70's era tie that I found while cleaning stuff at my grandparents' house.

When people asked me what my costume was, I told them I was an HNI neurologist, who couldn't afford decent clothes.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely brilliant !!!!!!

Retired APRN said...

Well played!

HDJ said...

oh, you devil, you.

Anonymous said...

I worked for a company for a few years went to Law School and stepped off the sidewalk. I was scared going out into traffic, were you ? 30 years later I still think about that choice and how right it proved to be--not in the financial sense-- in the personal sense. Happy Anniversary.

Ms. Donna said...

No response from the HNI PTB (Powers the Be)?

a.generic doc said...

Did any patients ask if HNI stood for Homeless Neurologists, Inc..?

Shellye said...

OMG *LOL* The seventies era tie! I'm sobbing with laughter at the mental picture in my head!

Candi said...

(Laughs herself silly.)

That is just evil. I love it!

Holly said...

WIN!!

Anonymous said...

Me, too. The mental picture is just pathetically hysterical. I would've suggested the pilot-style frame gold-color specs with the gob of white tape over the nosepiece myself.

Aura said...

My first reaction was "is he serious? Did this really happen?"

Then I recall the too-insane-to-be-true medical stories that others question but I have no trouble believing at all, and I realise yep, this is true. It's all true...

I will continue to exclaim "is this for real?!" at each blog entry, and I will continue to remind myself which blog I'm reading and that "Yes. Yes, it is."

 
Locations of visitors to this page