Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Memories...

The peanut post got me thinking...

When I was doing my internal medicine residency, another doc in my class was a girl named Christine. She was just doing a 1 year internship before going on to radiology.

She was a good person, and a good doc. But she was a HORRIBLE black cloud. Bad luck just followed her and her patients, in spite of the fact that she took damn good care of them.

She just had remarkably shitty luck. When she was on call, her service would always max out with admissions, and they were all really sick. Codes would occur. Her patients seemed to die more often then anyone else's. And, again, this was just bad luck. She was a good doc, just always seemed to get the sickest patients.

After the first 6 months of this, she was so burned out that she needed a vacation, and booked a cruise.

On the first night of her cruise, the guy sitting next to her at dinner collapsed and died from a peanut allergy.

14 comments:

J-Quell'n said...

Damn!

Anonymous said...

One of my close friends, M, had such a serious black cloud during her residency that her fellow residents started calling M&M rounds M's M&Ms. She is also intelligent, a good doc and a very nice person.

Sunflower RN said...

About 5 years ago, I got tagged the Death Angel. I was getting 2-3 deaths a week. Most were expected, but it seemed like they were waiting for me to take their final breath. The code team knew me by name.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

"Sunflower" definitely sounds better than "Death Angel".

Dymphna said...

I call them Black Widows.

I am an electronic Black Widow. I have fried three laptops, a couple of cell phones, various electronic devices, and several EEG leads/ports.

Maybe I'm 'Storm' from X-Men. That would be cool.

;-)

MCT said...

Seriously?!!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

MCT- Yes.

The Good Cook said...

Um... has she considered another line of work?

Anonymous said...

How horrible. Bet she wondered for a minute what would've happened if she had an Epi-Pen, (or a Code Cart) with her.

ladyk73 said...

she should of gone into pathology...

Anonymous said...

well i am a DIY black cloud.
at least it gives me a lot of free time around the house.

Anonymous said...

And I was just going to guess that she was cursed and needed an exorcist!

student dr. blaze said...

it's nice to know i'm not alone. after failing an exam in medical school (which totally freaked me out, because, as we all know, anyone who gets into med school has never failed anything before), i went for some evaluative testing. i was told (among other things) that i had "exquisitely attuned negative antennae." no joke. all i could think was, 'of course i do! i'm chased by a black cloud everywhere i go.' i seriously think my pcp has given me a dx of bad luck syndrome. anyone know if there's a cure?

Anonymous said...

I know that this is a REALLY old post, but this seems perfect for this Onion post:
http://www.theonion.com/article/scientists-baffled-by-mans-incredible-ability-to-f-19422

 
Locations of visitors to this page