Sunday, December 27, 2009

Loose playlists sink ships... or something like that

Ya know, given the ease with which a guy was apparently able to walk on a plane with a bunch of explosives last week, some of the other measures seem somewhat out of place.

For example, when I was accused of contributing to terrorism a few months back.

So this morning I'm updating my iTunes software. A friend had told me about this a while back, but I'd never looked for it before today (hell, who actually reads the consents that come with software updates?). But, there it was.

I direct you to item #10 of the iTunes update agreement.

(click to enlarge)




I really love the last line. "You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture, or productions of missiles, or nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons."

I freely admit that my taste in music doesn't suit everyone (Mrs. Grumpy hates it), but I think the most that could be said is that my iPod constitutes a weapon of mass good taste destruction.

14 comments:

J-Quell'n said...

That is crazy! Never read those things...maybe I should start...could find some little nuggets of entertainment right in the TOS...LOL

Anonymous said...

That's probably a result of the federal laws which prohibit the sales of XBoxes and other Gaming platforms to various nations because the processors are strong enough to handle piloting a drone. I think Adobe Photoshop has the same clauses, and all someone can do with that is photochop achmedinijad into embarrassing situations.

Anonymous said...

Foiled again! While I have no moral problem killing hundreds of people using very gory methods, I absolutely must comply with DRM. They got me!

Ron said...

That mine is loaded with every Coldplay track available to man - to include unreleased B-sides - is an act of terrorism according to my (former emo wannabe) wife. ...I'm renaming that play list, "Chris Martin's Jihad Jingles."

The Mother said...

If you read all the terms of service agreements, you will go insane.

Google's Chrome includes a tiny paragraph that anything that goes through their browser belongs to them (or at least it did--they got a lot of bad press and I've been avoiding it more than the plague).

But I'm sure that some enterprising terrorist somewhere can figure out how to turn a playlist into a weapon. If they would only expend all that energy and intellect educating THEMSELVES, this world would be a far better place.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that playing something like Kane West for long enough WOULD qualify as some kind of weapon of mass destruction. It's not your traditional chemical/biological weapon but it would cause a lot of psychotic episodes.


Also yeah, far too many EULA's have completely irrelevant stuff in them like that. Anything to cover every square inch of ones legal ass.

Dragonfly said...

You could always buy music by Toxic Waste, My Chemical Romance or someone similar and really get them going....

student dr. blaze said...

damn! who knew?! they either have a really creative legal team, or somebody has tried it. remind me to leave my ipod home next time i travel internationally....

Candice said...

You actually read the fine print??? ;)

Anonymous said...

Mrs. grumpy dosen't like your music whats wrong with Christina Aguilera

Filet-o-bitch RPh said...

Now I need to know what is on your playlist Dr. Grumpy!!

Don said...

The export controls are because of the encryption that Apple uses.

Computer encryption is considered a defense technology by the US Government

KC_the_professional_pt. said...

(big ol' face palm) I hate Apple! Those elitist asses think much too highly of their products & I doubt Undugu in the wilds or Northeatern Africa is going to be able to figure out how to load music onto it from a boulder, let alone find something to power it up to do much danger... Why bother trying to "fight terrorism" with this sort of crap when those who are determined to do something horrible are not going to concern themselves with an iPod? Sheesh!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

KC- this has nothing to do with Apple. It's a government requirement. My friends tell me the Zune has the same warning, too.

 
Locations of visitors to this page