Sunday, August 14, 2011

Summer Vacation, Day 1

This year the Grumpy Summer family reunion, as in 2009, is in San Diego.

Flying with 3 kids (and having to make a connection that got canceled, thank you Air Grumpy) is never without drama (Frank's mouth is considered a weapon by airport security), but somehow we made it here, got our rental minivan, and found the hotel. Unlike 2009, it was not located near the local doberman stables.

The only hitch was during our delayed connection, when I had to call the bank for an 8th mortgage to buy airport food.

It's been 2 years since our last visit here, and the kids, as always, are changing. Craig, for example, has developed an obsession with his hair, frequently asking if it looks okay. But all 3 still consider LegoLand and SeaWorld to be at the pinnacle of Western Civilization.

Near our hotel we saw this car, which had apparently been attacked by a flock of seagulls. I can only assume they ran.






To relax after the ordeal of trying to lose not lose our kids in the airport, we sent them to go drown each other play in the hotel pool while Mrs. Grumpy and I sat in the hot tub with my sister & BIL. At one point we were joined by an inebriated lady. She had "Shit Happens" tattooed on the inside of her right butt cheek. And at 5 minute intervals kept pulling aside her swimsuit (and butt) to show us.

After that none of us were really hungry for dinner.


In a sad commentary on the state of literacy, this sign is near the hotel elevators:




And I'm too tired to write more.

23 comments:

Lynda said...

Flock of seagulls. They ran. Heh. You just made my day!

Reuben said...

Maybe said seagulls saw the tattoo.

FlutePrayer said...

Welcome to the Golden State! Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Slave to ungrateful lawyers said...

I had a mental image of the large lady getting into the hot tub and then saying "shit happens" when she got out and there was suddenly no water left.

Thatgirl said...

Your hot tub companion sounds super classy!

bobbie said...

Sounds like a fabulous start for the Grumpy Griswolds!!

Julie said...

alcohol .. lots of alcohol ...

TiredRPh said...

I just love the Grumpy Clan Adventures!! Have fun!! Wink wink

cliffintokyo said...

I am sure you will overcome all adversities (gross seagulls, gross ladies, etc), and have a great vac.
All the best!

KYLady said...

I suppose they mean to tell us wherever we go, there we are.

Emmy Roo said...

Welcome to San Diego! I've been reading your blog for about a year and a half but I don't think I ever commented before (I know, I know). If you would like any recommendations for SD, let me know! I don't know anything about expensive places, but I have lots of cheap recommendations! ;)

Officer Cynical said...

Better: "...please note where each exit exists."

Anonymous said...

Have a good vacation Dr Grumpy! Here's some groundbreaking research for you: Seeing a neurologist helps people with a neurological disease live longer. Because we were all wondering about that.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110810163408.htm
(Hey, my word verification is "butmet"!)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if we are at the same hotel... :) I have noticed that the only obese people I have seen here are at the hotels.

The greatest place we found to eat is El Pescador Fish Market (627 Pearl St(between Cuvier St & Draper Ave)in La Jolla. It is a fish market that just put a few tables in. Avoid Saska's on Mission Blvd. horrible service and expensive.

I love your family vacation stories, keep us updated about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

I love your vacation posts! Have a great time and remember, at least these strangers you're meeting are't going to be your patients.

Moose said...

I love Sandy Eggo, it's an awesome place.

Mockingbird said...

Isn't airport food great? Alot of it is artisnal.
I avoid hot tubs- an MD friend says that the public ones are...not good.
That sign near the elevators is for existentialists; everyone else is on a lower plane.

Mockingbird said...

Being sensitive to all birds is important in our nation. It's much better to refer to gulls as coastal chickens. Those spots on your cars are points for accuracy during perching.

Respectfully submitted,
M

Loren Pechtel said...

Was she implying she has an fecal incontinence problem?

Or was it just a poorly-placed label for where shit happens?

Anonymous said...

Mike and Ali Score once crapped all over my car too. It's only funny till it happens to you.

pharmacy chick said...

as long as the shit didn't happen in the hot tub.....

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed she could find a tattoo artist willing to do that...

Sevoflurane said...

It makes perfect sense: if you don't go out of those doors in case of fire, you won't exist!

 
Locations of visitors to this page