Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Memories...

Neurologists are a quirky bunch. We all have our own ways of checking various cognitive functions. We ask people to remember things, name presented objects, draw figures... a bunch of stuff.

But, in training, I had an attending on rounds who beat everyone else.

He was missing the 4th and 5th fingers from his right hand. I have no idea how it happened. He told different people different stories, ranging from a hunting accident to being tortured by the Stasi to a patient attacking him with a knife.

Anyway...

He'd do the usual stuff like having people remember objects, answer historical questions...

And then he'd suddenly spread out his right hand and ask "which fingers am I missing?"

The reactions of patients varied from shock, to a calm answer, to one demented lady who began screaming uncontrollably (granted, she did that when the door opened, too).

At the graduation banquet we gave him an award for "Best Neurological Exam Making Use of a Physical Deformity."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah another person who has overcome Jason Pierre Paul Syndrome.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S personal branding...

The Guy Whose Dick Looks Like a Reflex Hammer said...

That award was rightfully mine, and one day I'll have my revenge on you all...

Moose said...

I have a perfectly circular scar on one shoulder. It's really from a skin test when I turned purple, head to toe, from what might have been multiple medication allergies.

When people ask me what it's from, I always say, "Bullet hole" and then change the subject before they can question it. It's always hilarious, too.

 
Locations of visitors to this page