Saturday, August 7, 2010

Memories...

It was the early 80's, and Big State University was under a reign of terror (okay, more of a reign of creepiness) about an evil criminal mastermind.

I don't remember his name, if I ever knew it at all. One of my co-workers dubbed him "The Mad Whacker". It was as good a title as any.

He had a fetish for buildings. Really. He was sighted in front of various places on and around campus, staring at buildings, and, uh, madly whacking.

But he had a preference for religious places. The Mormon center. The Campus Crusade for Christ office. The Jewish Hillel center. He didn't discriminate. He'd stand in front of them at night, and, if he didn't see anyone immediately around him, do his thing.

Enter into the picture young BSU student Ibee Grumpy.

He was thinking about becoming a doctor someday, so was looking for anything to pad his resumé. More importantly, he was interested in meeting girls. Or at least trying to figure out how to talk to one without barfing from anxiety.

So he joined the campus safety patrol. This group of dedicated (and similarly lonely, resumé padding geeks) carried radios and were tasked with walking girls to different locations around campus at night to help deter crime.

So one night, Student Grumpy was on his way back from walking a girl out to her car, and took a shortcut near the Catholic center.

And there he was.

I don't remember who was working dispatch that night. I think it was a guy named Rob. I picked up my radio, trying not to be too loud.

"Come in, Rob"

(for those of you who remember the scene in Ghostbusters, I felt like Bill Murray, mumbling into the radio "Come in, Ray. It's looking right at me, Ray." And like Bill Murray's character, I was hoping not to get slimed).

Rob: "Dispatch, what's up?"

Student Grumpy: "It's the Mad Whacker, Rob . He's in front of the Catholic Newman Center."

Rob: "Are you shitting me?"

Student Grumpy: "No! Why don't you call someone to come get him? I've only got a radio with me."

Rob: "Okay. Is he almost done?"

Student Grumpy: "How the fuck should I know? You want me to ask him?"

Rob: "Tell him to drop it and put his hands up."

Student Grumpy: "Will you send somebody?"

Rob: "I did, a campus cop is near you and is running over."

At this point the Mad Whacker heard us, and started to run away. Fortunately, the campus cop was already there, and the Whacker couldn't run very fast with his pants around his ankles.

I have no idea where Rob is today.

I never did date any of the girls I met working there, but you all know what happened to Student Grumpy.

I don't know what happened to the Whacker. He's probably teaching kindergarten somewhere today.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what happened to the Whacker. He's probably teaching kindergarten somewhere today.

LOVE IT

Li'l Azathoth said...

Maybe he's leading sex tours to Rome and Jerusalem.

Anonymous said...

"Oh God! Oh God!!! I'm coming!!!"

OMDG said...

He's totally a Mister Softee icecream man.

Anonymous said...

Good blog.Then It made me wonder, How did you meet your wife? Being so shy. I will bet the answer to that would make a good story too.

The Mother said...

Your project to meet girls reminded me of this video on NASA's new project:

http://www.theonion.com/video/nasa-scientists-plan-to-approach-girl-by-2018,14400/

Just in case anyone needs some scientific hints.

J-Quell'n said...

HAHAHAHA!!! LOVE the Ghostbusters reference...I could totally imagine it in my mind!

Crazy Newt said...

My bet is he was responsible for that monkey on youtube, doing those awful things to that poor frog.

Also, the word verification for this post is eerily similar to "goatsex".

This bothers me.

Chrysalis said...

"(for those of you who remember the scene in Ghostbusters, I felt like Bill Murray, mumbling into the radio "Come in, Ray. It's looking right at me, Ray." And like Bill Murray's character, I was hoping not to get slimed)."

You are too funny! I love it when you can make me laugh out loud. With a sense of humor like yours, you should have just asked out what ever girl you liked, and taken the chance. Glad you found Mrs. Grumpy.

Angela said...

LOL!! I just watched Ghostbusters last weekend too!!!

ha!!

Sounds like an exciting time in your life! Helping to aprehend a serial whacker... You should have been given an award ;) (scarcasim why yes!)

*sigh* great last line, funny because it;s all too true!

xx
Jaxs

Mad Pharmacy Tech said...

I always appreciate a good Ghostbusters reference...especially that part of the movie.

 
Locations of visitors to this page