Saturday, June 6, 2009

Some Days It's Fun

Medicine is a serious business. I try not to take it too seriously (obviously), but it's the patients who come in with a great sense of humor who can make the job worthwhile.

Yesterday I was seeing an older couple, and we had a couple of great exchanges.


Dr. Grumpy: "And is this Mrs. Funpatient?"

Mr. Funpatient: "No, she's a hooker. I picked her up in your lobby."


AND


Dr. Grumpy: "Now that you've retired, what are you guys doing?

Mr. Funpatient: "We're training for a new hobby. We'd like to see a different doctor every day."


AND


(Mr. Funpatient completes reading off a long list of symptoms, in a silly fashion).

Dr. Grumpy: "Boy! You sure have a lot of complaints!"

Mrs. Funpatient: "Oh, he's awful, Doctor. Can he live with you?"

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Witty patients used to make my day. =D

ShrinkingDoc said...

Most old people crack me up. A lot of them are hilarious. Even the cranky ones are often cranky in a more cantankerous (not sure how that's spelled), funny way. Even the really, truly ornery old ones, I can somehow tolerate better than the young crabby, crazy ones. Not sure why that is.

Reality Rounds said...

Our 97 yo "Grammie" used to tell her doctor, "If I fall down and break a hip, just shoot me!"....and she meant it.

Pamela @ Frugal Vet Tech said...

I love clients that that. They make the job so much more fun. I don't work in human medicine, but we get similar types of clients in vet med.

Frantic Pharmacist said...

I love and admire the old folks who have a sense of humor. I can only hope I'm that way when I become a senior.

as always said...

Hookers in your lobby...business must be great!!!

whats Your cut?

Anonymous said...

I tried to share this with My Queen, but I choked up because it sounded so much like her and me. Thanks for this one.

Chris said...

That's my mom and dad, to a T...gotta love them.

Anonymous said...

My awesome grandfather, who charmed everyone he met (really--you should have seen the Coachella/Burning Man his funeral reception turned into after a quick and dirty battle with leukemia at age 90 last year)had a lot of great one-liners whenever in medical situations. The best-- Nurse: Mr. Wales, please take off your clothes. Mr. Wales, with an innocent, surprised air: "But we haven't had a cocktail yet!"

 
Locations of visitors to this page