Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hazards of Multitasking with Age

Mary, my wonderful secretary, had to run out early today for her kid's little league game. In the chaos of trying to shut everything down, she forgot to roll the phones over.

I don't have an answering service. I just roll the calls over to my cell phone. I don't find this a problem, though I know other docs are horrified at the idea.

Anyway, while I was frantically trying to finish dictations, I rolled the phones over myself, then dialed back in to make sure it was working.

Then my cell phone rang, and I immediately grabbed it, saw the number looked vaguely familiar, and answered my own call.

I'm so glad Mary wasn't here to see this. She'd be giving me crap about it for weeks.

10 comments:

UrbanRxTech said...

LOL....We won't tell her.

ShrinkingDoc said...

Somehow a neurologist doing this makes me feel less worried for myself...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the honesty. It's refreshing for the rest of us, who are responding anonymously for fear of being known to do such things.....way too often!

Anonymous said...

I wondered why it seemed patients had your cell phone number.

I'm not a doctor and I don't even let my phones roll over to my cell phone.

My sister is a doctor and I can tell it drives her nuts when I call her cell phone to ask questions that are too stupid for a doctor but not stupid enough for family.

Anonymous said...

I'm not American and I've never worked in a doctor's office, so I'm not familiar with this, but why was this such a bad/stupid thing to do? Dumb question I'm sure, but it's nagging me - I must know!

Anonymous said...

Dr. Grumpy- I almost think you could make a blog just completely about that last comment....

Grumpy, M.D. said...

It's not bad, or even stupid. More just absent-minded. Like looking all over for your sun glasses and then realizing that you have them on.

Anonymous said...

LMAO, thats like once I was talking to my husband on the phone, and he asked what someones phone number was. I said hang on, its in my phone, and I kept talking to him, walking around the house...LOOKING...FOR...MY...PHONE... he finally asked what was taking so long, so I told him. and he says- maybe you should check IN YOUR HAND.

Anonymous said...

It's only a good story if you asked yourself for narcotics.

Chris said...

I emailed myself the other day - responded to an email I got, but didn't realize I was responding to my response - so I was quite surprised when an email from ME popped up in my inbox a minute later. Sigh.

 
Locations of visitors to this page