Monday, June 22, 2009

Words Fail Me

This morning the hot water heater for my office was on the blink. So I called maintenance to let them know.

The 12 year old answering the phone kept telling me someone would be over "in 5 minutes". So after 3 hours of nothing happening (except for my staff getting pissed off) I called again, only to reach the same 12 year old.

I asked her when a realistic idea of a repair would be:

Ms. Twelveyearold: "Look, I really don't know. Um, do you live near here?"

Dr. Grumpy: "Yes, why?"

Ms. Twelveyearold: "Then why don't you just go get some?"

Dr. Grumpy (not sure I've heard right): "Excuse me?"

Ms. Twelveyearold: "Why don't you go home and fill up some tupperware with hot water? Then you could store it in your office or fridge or wherever until you need it, while we try to get someone up there to fix it."

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

14 comments:

nakkinator said...

The best part is the storage of the hot water in the fridge.

One Nurse said...

And this is why we have child labor laws. . . right???

Anonymous said...

I nearly fell off my chair laughing, picturing the wide eyes of Dr. Grumpy at this earnest but not quite thought through self-help measure, The incongruity of it just strikes the funnybone. Here Dr. Grumpy is trying to accommodate the needs of his clinical practice; on the other hand, this kid is trying to come up with a plausible solution to help out the business he's evidently gotten himself involved. You just can't make this kind of story up.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Needs a t-shirt that says "I failed 'Principles of Thermal Transfer 101'"

Leslie said...

You can't just learn stupidity like that. It's a gift. Either you're born with it or you're not.

Anonymous said...

does your staff take hot showers at the office? why were they getting impatient?

Anonymous said...

Some one needs to Study from "Statistical and Thermal Physics" by Reif. That was a painful class.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

One or two of them do if they bike in. The building has a shower in the basement. They also use it in the lab.

Anonymous said...

Duhr...handwashing...hot water...

Anonymous said...

patients complain when their doc examines them with cold hands.

xxx said...

at least she is working for a living, instead of smoking and watching day time television whilst breeding more idiots.

Farmercist said...

Or you could store it in the freezer and it'll last even longer...

Christine said...

Please tell me this isn't a true story.

Though I spoke with corporate this morning trying to explain that being employed with said company since May 2008 means I've been employed with them for >6 months. They weren't grasping it til I explained that it's currently 2009.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Sorry, Christine-Megan. It's true.

 
Locations of visitors to this page