Monday, October 14, 2013

Weekend on call

Early morning Sunday, I go in to see a new hospital consult.

I walk into the nurse's station, looking for the chart. One of the nurses is on the phone, looks up at me, and says, "Doctor, it's for you."

She shoves the receiver into my ear and disappears into a room with a blinking call light.

Dr. Grumpy: "Uh, hello?"

Voice: "What do you think of her?"

Dr. Grumpy: "Who is this?"

Voice: "This is Mr. Smith. Are you the neurologist seeing my wife?"

Dr. Grumpy: "Yes, but I literally just got here. I haven't been in the room, or even seen the chart yet."

Voice: "Well, what's going on with her?"

Dr. Grumpy: "Sir, I just got here. I have no idea yet. I can call you back..."

Voice: "Okay, what do you think is going on with her?"

Dr. Grumpy: "I haven't had a chance to..."

Voice: "Okay, you obviously don't have the answers we need. Don't bother seeing her, I'll have them call another neurologist."

(Hangs up)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alrighty then

Anonymous said...

Forgot your crystal ball at home, eh?

Anonymous said...

Apparently you skipped the clairvoyant courses in the didactic portion of your training. Sigh. For shame.

Steve W said...

Sounds like you had a narrow escape

Your Doctor's Wife said...

Hopefully, a colleague you are not particularly fond of gets THAT call.

a.generic doc said...

Did you listen the the guy on the phone claiming to be the husband who didn't want you to see the patient? Or to the order in the chart requesting you to see the patient?

Mathi Bear said...

I feel bad for the nurse who was probably trying to be nice to that caller for several minutes before Grumpy arrived. The nurse needed to see other patients and likely couldn't get rid of that guy any other way.

Anonymous said...

My first thought was that he was accusing you of "seeing" with his wife, nudge nudge wink wink

WordyGirl said...

Did you eventually see the patient, or not?

Library-Gryffon said...

Given that the person who presumably had the medical power of attorney stated that they wanted a different doctor, I'd imagine that Dr. Grumpy obliged and had them call someone else. And now someone else will have to deal with an aggravated and aggravating spouse.

Anonymous said...

I would title this:
"You REALLY don't want to see that patient..."
Although the comment about following the order in the chart vs following the request of the supposed husband on the phone is good too.

Moose said...

And once again I remind you: There is no cure for stupid.

Anonymous said...

There's a cure, but in clinical trials it's proven to be 100% fatal.

Anonymous said...

The husband is obviously an auto mechanic - the kind that can tell you what is wrong with your car before you bring it in and what it will cost to fix it ($1500).

I think I know what was wrong with the patient; she needed to get away from her husband.

Just walk away, quickly and quietly. TCG

Packer said...

The lost art of communication.

The other day some guy in an Alzheimers talk was messing with you, now it is the nurses.



Anonymous said...

Sounds like there were two patients and only one in the hospital.

Anonymous said...

who made the nurse mad at doctor that day?

 
Locations of visitors to this page