Thursday, April 2, 2009

Idiots Among Us

I got the greatest call from a pharmacist today. Here's the story:

On September 15, 2004 I saw a lady for low back pain and gave her a script for Percocet.

For whatever reason, she never had the script filled, just shoved it in a drawer at home. She never followed up with me.

Yesterday she apparently found the script buried in the drawer, and decided she should get it filled. She figured (correctly) that the pharmacy wouldn't fill anything that was written 5 years ago.

So she changed the date on it to September 15, 2009, and took it to Walgreens.

The pharmacist who called me was laughing so hard he was crying.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

lol... people are SOOOOO genius. I heart working retail pharmacy.

Lipstick said...

LOL Dr. Grumpy!! I love it! Totally amazing how you can transcend space and time like that.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Yeah, obviously the patient thought scripts could be written via time machine. Bright bulb.

MDB said...

I've had a patient bring in a prescription bottle and ask for it to be refilled. He got pissed when I told him I couldn't fill it and as a matter of fact the doctor who wrote it couldn't be contacted. The script was from 1995 if I remember correctly and the doctor died 2 years ago. Only way I'm contacting the doc now is through a medium and I really doubt that's going to be classified as legal.

Bobbie said...

That's almost as bad as me getting irritated at one of my fellow medics,kept following me around asking me what else she needed to do. I'd had enough and blurted out sarcasticly, "Why don't you go into the supply closet and just bring me a box of fallopian tubes." Two hours later, she came back to me (almost in tears),after wrecking our supply room, and told me that she couldn't find any. I was really amazed, especially considering that she was 5 months pregnant!!

 
Locations of visitors to this page