Monday, April 10, 2023

Modern technology

Dr. Grumpy: "Okay, so did the medication make a difference?"

Mrs. Timex: "Sort of, it..."

phone beeps, patient looks at watch

Mrs. Timex: "OH MY GOD! CALL 911!"

Dr. Grumpy: "What? What's wrong?"

Mrs. Timex: "MY WATCH SAYS MY HEART JUST STOPPED!"

Dr. Grumpy: "I don't think that's accurate..."

Mrs. Timex: "Of course it's accurate! I just got it last week! Call 911!"

Dr. Grumpy: "I can assure you that your heart hasn't stopped."

Mrs. Timex: "HOW DO YOU KNOW? You haven't even made a move to check my pulse! Or call 911!"

Dr. Grumpy: (picks up blood pressure cuff) "Let me..."

Mrs. Timex: "This is ridiculous! My heart has stopped, and you're not doing anything! I'm driving to ER!"

she ran out


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

She probably votes...

bobbie said...

Good riddance!

pAula said...

Good Lord!

Rama Squiggler said...

Which is why it's so important to make sure the credit card you have on file with Apple stays current.

Anonymous said...

"Wait, it looks like this morning I put on my husband's watch by mistake. So I guess it's his heart that's stopped, not mine. Okay, no biggie."

Pyjamas said...

I want an update!

Packer said...

The suspense in this story, for sure stopped my heart. That happens to me quite frequently. When I go to planet fatness , I hop on the stationary bicycle, and it has a heart rate monitor, I paddle in petal, achieving proper cadence. A heart rate monitor say I am crank them out at 160, , I got a little concerned for a 73 year old guy so I take my hands off the handlebars and my heart stops. Works every time.

a.generic doc said...

Wait til she gets the next generation smart watch with the built in defibrillator!

vegakitty said...

When my sister was training for a medical assistant job she asked me to be her subject for when she was learning to give EKGs. She put the electrodes on me and the machine promptly flat-lined. She rearranged the electrodes, and this time my heartbeat was all over the place - If I was on the old Emergency! TV series, they'd have been hitting me with the paddles. Sis again rearranged the electrodes, and got the flat line again. After a few trials of this Sis summoned her instructor, who looked at the EKG's readout with an unbelieving expression, and I said, "I'm alive. Really." Turned out Sis was having trouble figuring out where to put the electrodes on a woman.

Loren Pechtel said...

While her heart clearly didn't stop I wouldn't flat-out dismiss this, either--something caused her watch to think her heart has stopped. While it could be a malfunction it could also be something changed that is messing with the sensing. I know my watch will read way low if my circulation is "poor" (cold, blood pulling away from the skin. If my arms are bare and I'm at the point of considering putting on a jacket it will be unreliable.)

Time for a stethoscope & bp reading.

 
Locations of visitors to this page