Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Thursday afternoon

Lady comes in, walks up to counter.


Mary: "Hi, can I help you?"

Mrs. Dayoff: "Hi, I'm Ada Dayoff. I'm here for my 3:00 appointment."

Mary: "I'm sorry... Actually your appointment was for yesterday, Wednesday, at 3:00. But I can reschedule you for..."

Mrs. Dayoff: "But you're the one who told me it was for Thursday!"

Mary: "I called you on Tuesday afternoon, with the rest of my reminders. The notes say I spoke to you directly."

Mrs. Dayoff: "EXACTLY! You said "your appointment is tomorrow!' I remember quite clearly."

Mary: "Yes... And since it was on Tuesday, that would have been for your Wednesday appointment."

Mrs. Dayoff: "But you called me at 4:18 p.m. See? Here's the call time on my phone!"

Mary: "Okay, that's my call, but it says 4:18 p.m. on Tuesday. Your appointment was Wednesday.  Today is Thursday."

Mrs: Dayoff: "Look! Everyone knows that if you say tomorrow BEFORE 4:00 p.m. you mean the next day, and if you say tomorrow AFTER 4:00 p.m. you mean the day after tomorrow."

Mary: "Uh..."

Pause.

Mrs. Dayoff: "Anyway, I'll reschedule. Do you have anything for tomorrow?"

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like, it depends on what your definition of the word is is.

stacey said...

She obviously worked in the banking world, so any transactions processed after 4pm would be posted the following business day.

Packer said...

Huh?
Who ever heard of a Doctor's appointment on Wednesday.

The Number Cruncher said...

In 8th grade algebra class, the teacher gave an equation and called on a classmate for the answer. She said, "A few." After some clarification, in her world "a few" meant three.

bobbie said...

Yet another raise is due Mary...

clairesmum said...

and, who's on first??

Anonymous said...

"4 pm here in Grumpyville is midnight for my handlers back in Moscow."

Anonymous said...

...

It's five o' clock somewhere, so I think Mary deserves a nice cocktail.

Anonymous said...

Three o'clock on a Wednesday? Only if you see him on the 15th green.

Unknown said...

"Is it before or after 4?"

stacey said...

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow....

a.generic doc said...

If Mary had called on the morning of the appointment and said the appointment was for 4:30 that afternoon, which day would she show up?

Geno said...

Everyone knows Wednesday is the doctors day for golf.

 
Locations of visitors to this page