Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Mary's desk, August 26, 2013

Mr. Stapes: "Hello?"

Mary: "Hi, Mr. Stapes. It's Mary at Dr. Grumpy's office."

Mr. Stapes: "Can you speak up?"

Mary: "HI, MR. STAPES. IT'S MARY, AT DR. GRUMPY'S OFFICE."

Mr. Stapes: "Oh, hi, Mary. Wasn't I just there a short while ago?"

Mary: "Yes. I'm calling because you left your hearing aids in Dr. Grumpy's exam room."

Mr. Stapes: "What?"

Mary: "YOU LEFT YOUR HEARING AIDS IN DR. GRUMPY'S EXAM ROOM."

Mr. Stapes: "I'm sorry, I have to hand the phone to my wife. I can't find my hearing aids."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And once again, Mr. Stapes' attempt to conveniently "lose" his hearing aids has been foiled by the conscientious.

Steeny Lou said...

I love how the everyday can be humorous. Thanks for another smile, Doc. :)

Anonymous said...

Aack, I work with the elderly and deal with this ALL the time.

Anonymous said...

As an intern in the Coumadin Clinic, the preceptor 'listened in' on students counseling patients over the phone about INR results, why, how, and what to do next.

I figured there was a method to the madness after I found I was assigned to call people who were hard of hearing.

"Hello. I am calling from the Coumadin Clinic about the lab results of your recent blood draw."

"Hello. I am calling from the VA Coumadin Clinic." "Yes, that's the one. And, I am calling with results from the lab test."

"Remember when you talked about the vampire squad? We wanted to check how fast your blood clots."

Once, past the initial introduction, the next request might be, "May you please get the person that helps you to hear what is being said on the phone?"

All delivered at decibels high enough to deafen those three doors down in the clinic. Sometimes, there was concern about privacy; other times the sore throat, and, but most often the thought was how to get even with the preceptor.

 
Locations of visitors to this page