Thursday, August 12, 2010

Neurologists- the original party animals

This picture was featured in a mailing I received. It's for a DVD program on Parkinson's disease. It is, I swear, a video of 4 neurologists arguing. Yeah, like I'm just dying to watch that.

(click to enlarge)



The distinguished faculty in the picture are named as (left to right) Drs. Sethi, Obeso, Olanow, and Stern.

Believe it or not, this is about as exciting as a party of neurologists gets. They sit around and discuss Parkinson's disease and other invigorating topics. And people wonder why I'm in solo practice.

I'm not convinced that's water in their glasses, either. Vodka, maybe.

Obviously, the star of the picture is Dr. Olanow. He looks like he's one step away from wearing a lampshade on his head. I'd like to think he's talking about his windsurfing trip over the summer, and how he accidentally ended up starring in an Absolut vodka commercial with the Sports Illustrated swimsuit models. More likely, though, he really is talking about Parkinson's disease. Only a neurologist can look so happy while talking about something that would scare everyone else away.

Let's try to guess what they're thinking:

Dr. Sethi: "Wow. Olanow has had too many already. He always gets the spotlight, and the hot drug reps. And what the hell did he do with my tie? As soon as I walked in he asked to borrow my tie because he forgot his, and now he isn't even wearing it. I have to remember to get the phone number for that Absolut girl who keeps refilling our glasses. I hope she saw that I drive a Porsche."

Dr. Obeso: "I have noooooo idea what they put in the vodka. I've only had 2 so far. I'm not touching it again. Holy crap, I hope I don't puke at the table. Olanow would never let me live that down. He'd probably show slides of it at next year's academy meetings. How come I'm the only one here who's wearing a tie?"

Dr. Olanow: "Man! Thish party is great! I better hit up Stern for cab fair back to the hotel, because I spent the travel stipend on the keg party last night. I hope nobody notices the tie I took from Sethi is missing. I gave it to that hot drug rep after writing my hotel room on it with her lipstick."

Dr. Stern: "I have to pee, and Olanow won't STFU. Maybe if I cross my legs. I didn't even see a bathroom when we came in. Maybe there isn't one. What do I do then? What the hell is he even talking about, anyway? Why does he need $20? He still hasn't paid me back from the last meeting. At least I have a good chance of getting laid tonight, because that sizzling drug rep gave me a tie with a room number written on it in lipstick."

16 comments:

Smocha said...

Hysterical!

The Mother said...

Ah, c'mon, you careerist.

I know some really funny neurologists.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing my butt off at my desk here. Too funny!

Li'l Azathoth said...

"So, Dr. Stern, do you prefer Bachelor #1, Bachelor #2, or Bachelor #3?"

Anonymous said...

You haven't partied with the MS neuros have you? They have a good old time. Life only sucks if you let it!

Gotta go to CMSC one of these days...whether you need it or not. Great way to combine the GrumpyTribe travel and business.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I suspect that drug rep stripped Olanow and Sethi of their ties, because they were wearing *bow* ties, and she didn't want to feed the stereotype.

Sarah Glenn said...

Anonymous: How right you are!

Cthulhu Sashimi said...

Actually, wasn't someone just asking you the other day about a gift idea for someone with Parkinson's...?

Anonymous said...

"Dr. Olanow is a Pisces who likes long walks on the beach, and is looking for that special someone to discuss Huntington's Disease with over champagne cocktails in a hot tub."

AlexDreamz said...

this totally looks like a shot from a male version of "the view" lol

Marco said...

I laughed so hard, my neuron is tired !

ERP said...

Gotcha! You've been on just such a panel....

Anonymous said...

I applaud your excellent time utilization here Dr. G. Fabricating a (mental) conversation was undoubtedly much more entertaining, productive and constructive than actually watching the real thing. Although you *may* have gotten a top-notch nap out of it.

P.S. I followed a Neurologist for the first time this week. And now I know why you started The Blog :).

Josiah O. Morris said...

Hahaha, nice work. The sad thing is, I was hoping for a little bit of an idea about what they had to say. Wanna mail it to me? =P

Also, I'm one of those weirdos who gets all kinds of excited (like, inappropriately enthusiastic and smiley) when Alzheimer's is brought up. Maybe in twenty to thirty years I'll be on a similar video.

Michelle Dailey said...

Ha ha, thanks for the laugh!
Most neurologists need to get a life (except you, of course)!

The only entertaining one I've personally met was a guest lecturer during my 3rd year of med school. He told us this disturbing story of a delusional patient who was convinced he was a kitchen cupboard, I SHIT YOU NOT!!
Not sure if I'll ever encounter anything in my own medical career that'll be able to top that!!

Sara said...

You have just destroyed some of my living myths :-)

 
Locations of visitors to this page