Thursday, January 1, 2009

Still more stupid phone calls

This time, one of my regular patients just called (and left a message) so I called him back:

Mr: X: "Hi, Dr. Grumpy. I had a seizure today, and one yesterday, too."

Dr. Grumpy: "Have you been sick or made any medication changes?"

Mr. X: "Nope. Same dose as always."

Dr. Grumpy: "Did you miss any doses?"

Mr. X: "I haven't taken any in 3 days."

Dr. Grumpy: "WHAT?!!"

Mr. X: "Yeah, I ran out, and haven't gotten it refilled. Do you think that's the problem?"

Dr. Grumpy: "Yes! Why didn't you get it refilled?"

Mr. X: "I didn't want to bother the pharmacist over the holidays."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL

Anonymous said...

We pharmacists greatly appreciate the thoughtfulness of letting us enjoy the holiday. However, no pharmacy is ever closed for 3 days in a row! :)

webhill said...

Hi Dr. G,
I'm reading back through your blog. This stuff is awesome :)
This post reminded me of a client I saw just a few weeks ago. She informed me at the start of the visit, which was to recheck her dog's ears post-treatment for bacterial otitis, that she had not in fact followed my treatment plan "because she knew it wouldn't work," and she was bringing him in just to show me that he still had the infection and ask what to do about it. I told her to use the antibiotic I had previously prescribed. "But doctor," she asked, "are you really sure that will work?"

Some days I wonder why I am even there.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Me too. I want to hand them my ID and say, "Okay, here. You get to be the neurologist".

Anonymous said...

OMG, this sounds like my MIL....

 
Locations of visitors to this page