Thursday, August 30, 2012

Annie's desk, August 29, 2012

Mrs. Autoclave: "Hello?"

Annie: "Hi, this is Annie at Dr. Grumpy's office."

Mrs. Autoclave: "Do you have my test results?"

Annie: "Yes, your neck MRI was fine, and so he'd like to schedule you for an EMG."

Mrs. Autoclave: "Is that the test where they stick needles in your arm?"

Annie: "Yes."

Mrs. Autoclave: "Does he use clean needles?"

Annie: "Of course!"

Mrs. Autoclave: "He's not, like, re-using the same needle on every patient, is he? Or just rubbing it down with a paper towel between patients?"

Annie: "No. It's a disposable needle. He throws it away, and uses a new needle for every patient."

Mrs. Autoclave: "How do I know he's not just fishing it out of the garbage?"

Annie: "You can watch him open the package before the test."

Mrs. Autoclave: "I'm going to have to think about this. I don't trust you people." (click)

12 comments:

Mark p.s.2 said...

Patient is scared and needs to do that psychology thing of transference in order not to face the fear.
Funny or sad ? I don't know.

Anonymous said...

HOW MANY TATTOOS DID SHE HAVE?

Mike said...

"Nah, I just have my dog lick them clean."

Mad Jack said...

You know, I have always kind of wondered about that. I mean, that's a lot of needles we're talking, and what with recycling being so important and all... well.

I'm going to go think this over.

Anonymous said...

I understand how you feel. But stuff like this http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/mar/15/health-officials-allege-doctor/ or this http://articles.herald-mail.com/2011-05-25/news/29584352_1_needles-biopsy-letter or this http://www.lvrj.com/news/second-doctor-tells-medical-board-he-reused-needle-guides-in-biopsies-118958369.html happens, then people do get a wee bit worried. Its not as surprising an ask as you might think, is all im saying.

CrownedwithVictory said...

I am a nursing student and last night I was researching "best practice" articles. Among the selections was and article giving advice for all patients to make sure the doctor/nurse/clinic is not reusing needles. So there ya go - she is reading Medline.

Anonymous said...

"Ma'am, Dr. Grumpy cleans his needles three times with water, three times with bleach solution, and three times with water before using the heroin junkie's needle on you. No worries."

Li'l Azathoth said...

"But will he be wearing a condom?"

Anonymous said...

She still did not get the point.

Unknown said...

I suddenly feel like a terribly negligent patient for never asking the medical professional if he/she is reusing needles... perhaps I don't watch enough Dr. Oz.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way only about the KY. Where has that been before I came in?

Crazy RxMan said...

I give immunizations at my pharmacy. I constantly joke with my patients if they mind if I "recycle" a syringe to give them the shot. I do this with s straight face and serious tone.

You'd be surprised how many people say YES before I tell them I'm joking.

 
Locations of visitors to this page