Sunday, March 8, 2009

Why am I here?

Okay, I just want to state that Alzheimer's is one of the more awful diseases I deal with, and the following post is not in any way trying to make fun of it. But sometimes the best you can do is see the humor in a bad situation.

So, last week: Mr. X is an elderly fellow who came in for the first time with his wife (who wasn't all there herself). Our conversation went round and round:

Dr. Grumpy: "What medications do you take?"
Mr. X: "The ones the doctor gives me."
Mrs. X: "We have them written down."
Dr. Grumpy: " Can I see the list?"
Mrs. X: "It's at home. I didn't know you'd need it."
Mr. X: "What list?"


and

Dr. Grumpy: "Do you still drive?"
Mrs. X: "Yes, he does. He drove us here today"
Mr. X: "I did?"
Mrs. X: "Yes."
Mr. X: "I thought you said we'd taken the bus."

and

Mr. X: "Which doctor are you?"
Dr. Grumpy: "I'm doctor Grumpy."
Mr. X: "Oh. (pause) I know that name. I think I have an appointment with Dr. Grumpy today. Is his office in this building?"

and

Dr. Grumpy: "What do you see Dr. Smith for?"
Mrs. X: "What kind of a doctor is he?"
Dr. Grumpy: "He's a cancer doctor."
Mr. X: "I have cancer?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar situation when I was testing Memory Jogging Puzzles and Memory Cards at a Memory Treatment Center.

There were three of us working at this table, two residents and myself.

Things were going along just fine and all of a sudden the gentleman asked where he was and how he got there.

The lady (resident) told him to be quiet, which agitated him more. And then he asked it again only louder.

Finally, I said to him, that perhaps he was like me and visiting. We chatted a little more and then back to the puzzles and cards, like there was no interruption.

I think it's better to go with the flow and make light of it also.

takeCare

melaine said...

I know that this is a little late but I'm really concerned regarding him driving. My mom passed from Alzheimers and it's really scary.

 
Locations of visitors to this page