Monday, September 30, 2013

Sunday afternoon

So, as hunter-gatherer tribes have done for the past several million years, Craig and I went on our weekly hunting & gathering expedition to Costco yesterday.

One of the items I needed for our cave was a chair mat. I'm notoriously rough on these things, and 6-12 months is about average for me. So I grabbed one off the pile, and was carrying it by the handles

When I got to check-out, the guy took it from me and set it upright in the cart, saying this would make it easier to transport. So it looked like this:

Side view

Front view

Seemed like a good idea. This way, if I was attacked by stone-throwing members of the rival Samsclub tribe, I'd have a shield.

Until I tried to push the cart. When I discovered I had this view:


Yes, that's Craig in front of the cart, trying to help me navigate my way out without killing anyone or denting another family's dinomobile.

After a few minutes of struggling with this, some 10 year-old walked by and said, "Mister, why don't you just pull the cart instead?"

Craig still hasn't stopped making fun of me (though it's not like he thought of it, either).

20 comments:

Sara L. Uckelman said...

Thanks for a Monday morning laugh!

Mal said...

Or stop, and move the chairmat to be along the side of the trolley instead of accross it.

Or roll it up tightly and wrap something around it to hold it - eg an extra shopping bag.

Or make Craig carry it.

It's easy to think up solutions from outside the problem. Much more difficult when you're in the middle of it.

Glad to have you back, Grumpy. Hope you and the family are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the neurologist could benefit from a neuro exam. Just sayin'. :)

Unknown said...

OK, but why does the green box have the word "Naked" on it?

Medic2RN said...

Don't worry Dr Grumpy, sometimes it's difficult to see the bigger picture when looking through the opaque chair mat!

Lisa said...

How in the world do you manage to wear those things out? I have the same one that was issued to me 13 years ago when I first started working at my job. Come to think about it, it's nasty. Maybe I should throw it away.

bunkywise said...

Cripes, we did it exactly the same way when we bought one not long ago. I feel pretty stupid!

Packer said...

@LISA 903. You are probably a slip of a person, what, maybe 130 pounds, yours can last 15 years, me I am 74 inches tall and 240* pounds , mine last 5 years, (BMI class is how much) Grumpy is using his up every three years , so he is_____

* on best day.

Anonymous said...

Do kids really say "mister" any more?!?

By the way, Packer's comment cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

OfficerCynical, Naked is a brand of juice similar to Odwalla

Anonymous said...

bet the observant kid was a boyscout, too

Anonymous said...

too bad you werent wearing scrubs, and could ve been mistaken for a neurosurgeon !

bobbie said...

As long as Craig's hair was unharmed...

Frantic Pharmacist said...

Analytical 10-year olds at Costco are THE WORST.
(P.S. Welcome back!)

OMDG said...

Dork.

;-)

a.generic doc said...

The question the kid didn't ask, "How did you get out of Costco with so few items in your cart?"

Anonymous said...

Can I have a Pollyanna moment here and say it gives me some hope for the youth of America - they're able to innovate, find easy solutions through observation, and most importantly, take care of struggling old people!

Anonymous said...

Why not put it sideways in the cart?

Anonymous said...

so what was your response to the 10 year old? :p

Anonymous said...

And so begins the opening scene of the sci-fi thriller-
"Rise of the Ten-Year Olds"

 
Locations of visitors to this page