Monday, September 14, 2026

Crime and Punishment 2

So, as you guys remember, a few weeks ago I had to go to the Grumpyville misdemeanor court & entertainment venue for a speeding ticket that wasn't even mine.

This was the other notable case of the day:

 
Judge Judy: “Okay, next case is Tom Collins, warrant for missing a court appearance for DUI.”

Clerk: “This one is a dial in, your Honor. I’ll put on speakerphone.”

Mr. Collins: “Uh, hello, this is Tom Collins.”

Judge Judy: “Hi, Mr. Collins. Okay, you are charged with having missed a court appearance last week for a DUI charge. How do you plead to the charge of not being in court?”

Mr. Collins: “Uh, I was in jail, your honor.”

Judge raises her eyebrows, looks at her clerk.

Clerk (frantically typing on computer): “Um… yeah, it shows he was incarcerated effective 2 weeks ago.”

Judge Judy: “So…. are you still in prison?”

Mr. Collins: “Yes, your honor, do you need to verify with the guard here?”

Judge looks at a paper the clerk hands her.

Judge Judy: “No… so it says you’re in prison now for 3 other DUI’s?”

Mr. Collins: “Yes, that’s why I couldn’t be at the court appearance for the 4th.”

Judge: “Okay. So, what I’ll do is I’m going to drop the warrant, and dismiss the charge of missing the court appearance. The fine for the DUI is $7500. How long are you in jail for?”

Mr. Collins: "Until May 18, 2034, your honor.”

Judge Judy: “All right... I’ll suspend the payment for $7500 until June, 2034. So after you’re released from custody, within 2 weeks you’ll need to call the court here to check in and set-up a payment plan.”

Mr. Collins: “Thank you, your honor.”

Judge Judy hung up, looked at the clerk. Clerk shrugged her shoulders. 

Judge Judy: "NEXT!"

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page