Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mary's Desk, June 16, 2011

Mary: "Dr. Grumpy's office, can I help you?"

Mrs. Wreck: "Hi, I need to make an appointment with Dr. Grumpy. Some moron rear-ended me in a car wreck, and I've been having headaches, and my lawyer told me that I need to be evaluated by a neurologist for my case."

Mary: "I'm sorry, but Dr. Grumpy doesn't take medical-legal cases."

Mrs. Wreck: "But there isn't a case here?"

Mary: "You just mentioned a car accident, and that a lawyer had referred you."

Mrs. Wreck: "Oh, I'm sorry, I meant, um, someone else. I, uh, bumped my head in the shower, and my, um, other doctor told me to see you."

10 comments:

Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Oh my, I think she thinks you are dumber than she is; hard to believe is it not .?~!

Anonymous said...

Lawyers seem capable of diagnosing maladies which mere physicians would not consider, especially nebulous ones which lead to vast court settlements.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know a JD was an MD in disguise

Anonymous said...

after you document that she hurt herself in the shower and that no litigation is involved, her lawyer will not be pleased.

The Evil Receptionist said...

We get this situation a lot, except our case, it's usually a worker's comp claim that turns into an "accident" at "home". They're always really cheesed off that WC refuses to pay for the office visits.

Anonymous said...

I usually get calls from patients who self-refer themselves to our cardiology office and when I explain to them that we only take appointments on physician referral they get an attitude. Then, they try to call back the very next day and claim to have been referred by a doctor! Funny how the truth comes out when you let them know that their dcotor will need to fax a copy of the office note in which they were referred to us!

Mingle said...

Can I ask why Dr. Grumpy doesn't take medical-legal cases?
I'm guessing due to the fact that there are more jerks unfairly trying to get money out of the system (and thus, a waste of time and effort)?

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Nothing to do with that. I just hate the paperwork and deposition time and court time.

Jess said...

I'm thinking it should be an automatic refusal when the first doctor consulted is an attorney.

Cliff said...

Post trauma suit-making syndrome?

 
Locations of visitors to this page